Patients who have replacement surgery do better when they are given more care before surgery. A study published in The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery confirms that pre-conditioning makes a positive impact on the recovery of the patient. Some examples of pre-conditioning include:
- Reassurance to the patient that pain would be controlled
- Explanation of the benefit of walking early after surgery
- Strengthening muscles before surgery
- Explaining to both the patient and family members all aftercare instructions
- Recommending extra pre- and post-surgery physical therapy sessions
Our patients leave us in just 3.5 days! In 2008, we replaced 325 joints. Nearly all of our patients are up and walking the day of surgery.
Find class schedule information in the tab below. The purpose of the class is to:
- Provide you with valuable information on what to expect before, during and after surgery
- Give you an opportunity to meet fellow patients that will be having surgery the same day
- Decrease your anxiety level
We encourage you to bring your "coach" with you to the class. Your coach is someone who will be able to provide support to you after your surgery.
We find that it's most beneficial for patients to attend the Pre-op Education Classes at Centerpoint Medical Center and gain from the opportunity to ask questions and interact with others also facing surgery. However, if you are unable to attend the class, you can click on this link and view the presentation.