December 14, 2020
INDEPENDENCE, MO. — Centerpoint Medical Center — part of HCA Midwest Health, Kansas City’s leading and most comprehensive healthcare provider — was awarded an ‘A’ in the fall 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Gradenational distinction recognizes Centerpoint Medical Center’s achievements protecting patients from harm and providing safer health care and is awarded by The Leapfrog Group, an independent national watchdog organization committed to health care quality and safety. The Safety Grade is a letter grade assigned to all general hospitals across the country and is updated every six months based on a hospital’s performance in preventing medical errors, and other harms to patients in their care.
“Safe, high-quality patient care is a priority of Centerpoint Medical Center,” says Centerpoint Medical Center Chief Executive Officer Bret Kolman. “This ninth consecutive ‘A’ grade reflects the longstanding commitment by our physicians, staff and hospital leadership to keep patient safety in the forefront and best practices in place for exceptional outcomes. Especially as we face the challenges of a pandemic, consistent, unwavering dedication is required to achieve the highest standards of patient safety.”
Centerpoint Medical Center has implemented important protocols and guidelines to ensure the safety of its patients and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
- Screening processes in place for all patients, visitors and clinicians before entering the hospital.
- Separate care locations for COVID-19 positive patients and those under investigation, who are masked and escorted to designated locations. Non-COVID-19 patients, including those receiving outpatient care or undergoing scheduled procedures, are treated in separate areas and assigned caregivers who are not concurrently caring for COVID-19 positive patients.
- Universal masking required throughout the hospital, which exceeds CDC guidelines.
- Heightened infection prevention policies, including the removal of high-touch items such as magazines, toys and vending machines from the hospital and clinical units.
- Food and drinks prohibited in clinical units to prevent the spread of illness.
- Updated visitor policies, including limitations, which have been in place for the duration of the pandemic, remain in place.
“We are extremely grateful to hospital leadership and health care workers who have remained steadfast in prioritizing patient safety as our nation battles COVID-19,” says Leah Binder, president and CEO of The Leapfrog Group. “This ‘A’ is a testament to the care and commitment of those who work for Centerpoint Medical Center. With the current pandemic exposing existing flaws within the U.S. health care system, we appreciate you putting patient safety first. Lives depend on it.”
Developed under the guidance of a national Expert Panel, the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade uses up to 27 measures of publicly available hospital safety data to assign grades to more than 2,600 U.S. acute-care hospitals twice per year. The Hospital Safety Grade’s methodology is peer-reviewed and fully transparent, and the results are free to the public.
Centerpoint Medical Center was awarded an ‘A’ grade today when Leapfrog updated grades for fall 2020. To see Centerpoint Medical Center’s full grade details and access patient tips for staying safe in the hospital, visit hospitalsafetygrade.org and follow The Leapfrog Group on Twitter and Facebook.